Thursday, September 5, 2013

Once again Oberlin College looks stupid

In an earlier post I asked Why Isn't Oberlin College the Laughing Stock of the Country? May I repeat the question? In my first post I pointed out that the liberal, liberal arts college had been duped into thinking it was a hotbed of Klan and Nazi activism. The administration learned early on the source of offensive signs covertly post on campus was two students, one of which was an Obama activist. The administration chose not to reveal this to the student body which continued with inane demonstrations against imaginary hate groups. Caught up in the frenzy, one coed described her sighting of a Klansman which turned out to be another coed wrapped in a blanket.
Now it has come to light that since the 1970's the college has maintained a secret " No trespassing " list. Only the campus cops and the town of Oberlin police department knows who is on the list. Members of the Oberlin community not affiliated with the college describe the college as a gated community.
"I've been on that list for two years, and I couldn't believe what I received in the mail," said Shane Brendes, a 1996 Oberlin College graduate. "I was put on the No Trespass list and banished without knowing what the charge was. How could I defend myself?"
"But I still have not been given an explanation of what I did," he said. "This breaks my heart. . . . I feel like I'm living in the Soviet Union."
Through his attorney Brendes learned that someone was afraid of him but did not learn who the person was or why.
Oberlin resident Miko Israel, who said he is originally from Brooklyn, N.Y., agreed with Brendes and other speakers, saying that although he has not been on the No Trespass list, he has been hounded by campus security officers several times for what he said were no solid reasons and treated as if he were a criminal.
To make matters worse the list was never purged so a person could have easily been on the list for a quarter of a century without ever know he was on the list or why. Imagine being arrested for trespassing at your 25th class reunion.
Evidently one could be put on the list for such infractions as skateboarding, playing basketball without a student id, or making too much noise.The threat from the Nazis and the Klan were farcical the threat from the college is real. Again I ask, Why Isn't Oberlin College the laughing stock of the country?

No comments: