Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Most Repeated Cliche In Tonight's State Of The Union Address? I Am Betting on "Gun Violence"

Happy Birthday to Howard Stern, Rush Limbaugh, Jeff Bezos and Rob Zombie.

As Judith Regan pointed out long ago, there are a lot of similarities between Stern and Limbaugh. They are both prototypical Capricorns, breaking molds and finding success in a serpentine, abrupt or unpredictable manner. Bezos probably also fits this prototype but I know less about his biography.

Speaking of Capricorns, rest in peace, David Bowie. I consider myself someone who understands pop culture even when I run away from it. Bowie, like Elvis, will always be a bit of a head scratcher for me. Bowie was born on Elvis Presley's birthday and the similarities are unending. It is so much easier for me to see these artists's goodness than their greatness. Of course, "The Man Who Sold The World," "Young Americans," "Changes" will always resonate with me. It's always a shock when an icon dies suddenly.

Dig this segue: El Chapo claims to be a Capricorn, born on Christmas day but that issue is in dispute. Meanwhile prototypical Leo, Sean Penn, should probably be more concerned about the wrath of the Mexican cartels than any legal trouble he might incur as a result of his association with the reputed Christmas baby.

BTW, I find Penn's association with El Chupo much less disturbing and much less sleazy than his bromance with his fellow Leo, the late Hugo Chavez. And speaking of chronically dishonest and thuggish Leo's President Obama will deliver his final State Of The Union Address this evening. Everyone is on edge: what will be the most-repeated cliche in tonight's speech?

I am betting on "gun violence." The over/under is three and a half but I think it could hit seven or higher. "Social justice" and "income equality" seem a bit overpriced to me but you can bet they will be honorably mentioned.

Of course, the so-called smart money is going with "climate change." If you are playing the climate change chug along game and you have to drink every time you hear that vapid cliche, you might have a nasty hangover tomorrow.

Most bookies are offering pretty generous odds at the mere mention of "global warming." Consider that a bad bet at any price. Don't think the old gal has one more in her, at least not in January. I am loaded for bear and hope to hit the bullseye with "gun violence."






6 comments:

Moose said...

Concerning the odds regarding the State of the Union Address...
What's the over/under regarding misleading information and/or outright lies?...

BOSurvivor said...

Roughly the same as the odds for the sun rising tomorrow. Good luck getting anyone taking that action and if you find someone, I bet his pockets have already been emptied.

Tea Party at Perrysburg said...

"THIS IS NOT WHO WE ARE!" Eh? Eh?

Tea Party at Perrysburg said...

AND it will be said in a most nasal fashion, very sincerely and earnestly, chin up, eyes toward left or right.

And how many times will the words I, me, mine, myself be employed. Thousands, I'm guessing.

BOSurvivor said...

I, me, mine? After I wrote this I listened to a local show and that was the topic. Callers were predicting the number of first person singular pronoun references. They were predicting tsunamis of I, me, mine.

Laughing at "This is not who we are." This guy's speechwriter leads a charmed life.

Hoosierman said...

When better clichés are authored Obama will use them.