Friday, November 6, 2015

Bevin

On Wednesday, Boston talk radio was ablaze with Matt Bevin's upset victory in the Kentucky gubernatorial race. Howie Carr reported that Bevin ran a campaign that focused on Matt Bevin and was losing in the polls. In the final weeks he retooled his campaign to run against Barack Obama and victory was clutched from the mighty jaws of Jack Conway. So the story goes.

I like the story but I am not sure it's entirely accurate. I have been reading the local and national sites and I cannot get a confirmation of this. Bevin was always opposed to Medicaid expansion and he was an early supporter of Kim Davis. I don't know if he ran TV or radio spots denouncing the current administration or if he ran ads equating Conway with the radical-in-chief. Have not been able to find anything like that.

At any rate, the sagacious Tom Brokaw (you saw the Dominick Dunne spectacles) promotes a similar spin.




1 comment:

Hoosierman said...

I can pick up plenty of Kentucky political ads on local television and radio but I seldom bother to watch or listen to local radio or television. I do know that many including myself considered him a failed candidate right up until half way through Tuesday evening. My reason for backing McConnell was I did not want to see another Richard Mourdock crash and burn.
I am convinced that Bevin is authentic but I'm not sure he is not also crazy. His political epiphany is strange. Hedge funds, up until now, have not been brooder houses for the Tea Party. Unlike Trump who clings to some establishment sentiments Bevin seems almost born again.
I find Kentucky politic so very interesting because the cast of characters runs from the exotic to the bizarre and Kentuckians seem willing to give just about anybody a tryout.
John Y. Brown although the son of a congressman was the CEO of Colonel Sander's Kentucky Fried Chicken before being elected governor. Ron Lewis, a Baptist minister who owned a religious bookstore and had no political experience when he was elected to replace William Natcher in a district that had never elected a Republican. Rand Paul, another son of a congressman, was a Bowling Green ophthalmologist before he was a senator. Tom Massie, who I greatly admire, got to congress by way of MIT and specialty computer company he founded that developed touch-enabled 3D modeling software solutions used in surgical and dental procedures. He did serve about a year as a county executive judge before running for congress in a special election.

Now that I think about Bevin may be a typical Kentucky politician.