Wednesday, August 5, 2015

In Praise Of Lion Killers

It's not often that I link to NYT. Then again, they don't always feature clear-headed thinkers like Goodwell Nzou.

So sorry about Cecil.
 
Did Cecil live near your place in Zimbabwe?
 
Cecil who? I wondered. When I turned on the news and discovered that the messages were about a lion killed by an American dentist, the village boy inside me instinctively cheered: One lion fewer to menace families like mine.
 
My excitement was doused when I realized that the lion killer was being painted as the villain. I faced the starkest cultural contradiction I’d experienced during my five years studying in the United States.
Did all those Americans signing petitions understand that lions actually kill people? That all the talk about Cecil being “beloved” or a “local favorite” was media hype? Did Jimmy Kimmel choke up because Cecil was murdered or because he confused him with Simba from “The Lion King”?
 
Eulogy for Cecil continues here:

No comments: