Friday, August 7, 2015

Brief Reflections On So-Called Debate

I could not watch The Fox Event live but I watched the rerun with a few interruptions.

As previously stated, the fine minds at this blog have already come up with a superior format. It's tough being ahead of one's time but let's put that aside for now. Yes, 10 is too many but it's in the history books now.

Quick observations:

1. As I suspected, Trump will reveal himself over time. Yes, he is plain spoken and disdainful of the political class but he is also pro-abortion, pro-nationalized health care, pro-tax, anti-dollar...If he can get other candidates to stop sounding like consultants he will have contributed greatly to the discourse.

2. I never thought I would use the words wise and Huckabee in the same sentence. The governor put aside the Aw Shucks routine to remind us how far our culture has fallen. There is some gravitas I have not seen before.

3. I hate to dismiss Ben Carson as an amateur. I genuinely respect the man and he seems to grow in stature. This year's Herman Cain? I don't think so. I liked Herman but Carson is on a different plane. If not a contender, certainly a viable VP nominee.

4. Cruz might be dismissed by the likes of Larry Sabato but I am not writing him off just yet.

5. I don't think Jeb Bush really wants the job.

6. If Rubio can ever get the Gang of 8 gum off his shoe he might be a contender.

7. As much as I respect Rand Paul he comes across as catty. I side with him ideologically but in the exchange with Chris Christie I found myself being taken in by Christie's presentation. In an argument between a lawyer and a doctor, the lawyer usually wins.

8. Kasich looked polished.

9. Was Walker on the stage? If I was a betting man I would bet on Walker to win this race but somehow he seemed to get lost in the crowd. I later saw a snippet where he gave a good answer but he was almost the Invisible Man last night.

No comments: