Friday, August 29, 2014

Cameron vs. Obama

The efficacy of Obama's contrived stagecraft will always be puzzling to me. The teleprompter. The robotic cadence. The biting of the lip. The elevation of the nose. The biting of the lip. One gets the impression that if he turns too quickly, the president will expose a wind-up key sticking out of his back.

As I am writing this, David Cameron is addressing his country. I cannot assess his competence but I can tell you that he does not need a teleprompter and he can answer questions spontaneously. I don't know if the questions are of the pre-arranged Chuck Todd variety but I can tell you that Cameron instills confidence. He looks the part of the leader. He speaks with authority. not authoritarianism. Maybe it is all blah blah blah but it is a convincing blah blah blah.

This is deja vu of sorts. I feel something similar when I hear Bebe Netanyahu speak. You get the distinct impression that if he had to, Bebe could point out ISIS's presence on the map. Same with Cameron. I cannot assess the merits of Cameron's strategy but I can tell you that he has a strategy. That is profoundly different from our leader.

2016 cannot come fast enough.

No comments: