Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Somebody has to do it

I'm surprised this guy isn't a media star but thinking about it he probably doesn't have the time to do TV. Chris Cox was disturbed at the condition the Lincoln Memorial had fallen into since the government shutdown began so he did the natural thing any good citizen would do. He pick up the trash, mowed the lawn and sawed up and removed a fallen tree before park police ran him off. The 45 year old South Carolinian is not a veteran but his stepfather is a West Point graduate and his brother's name is on the Vietnam Memorial wall. "In my mind, that entitled me to pick up as much trash as I wanted to," he stated. He said he has been on a mission to spruce up the lawns, trees and trash bins near America's grandest memorials before the weekend, because a 'Million Vet March' event is expected to bring scores of retired servicemen and women to the nation's capital.


He was able to work one full day but on the second day he was approached by a park police officer who 'looked like Robocop' and ordered him to leave. ''Then this one cop, a big ... guy, he had me scared, and I'm six-foot-two and 225 pounds. I don't get intimidated easily. I mean, I had a chainsaw. But he was being a bully."
He said he told the officer that it broke his heart to see newspaper photos showing the Mall in disrepair after the shutdown began."I'm not here trying to make headlines,I'm here trying to prevent headlines. He says to me, "Well, maybe there should be a picture of the trash cans overflowing in the newspaper. Maybe that would help us."'
"I disagree, he said "Do you want all the veterans coming here and tripping over banana peels, and dirty diapers, and everything? These are our memorials."

Lest that matter of fact national pride fool you into thinking this guy is some kind of no talent loser check him out on his day job.

No comments: