Monday, May 27, 2013

FBI Spent 2 Years Listening to Louie, Louie,

This story should bring out the libertarian in everyone. The Smithsonian reports that the FBI spent two years investigating the song Louie, Louie, after  a complaint from a Florida school teacher. In 1963 the FBI was concerned with stamping out obscenity.
“The lyrics are so filthy that I can-not enclose them in this letter,’” the complaint read. “We all know there is obscene materials available for those who seek it,” it went on, “but when they start sneaking in this material in the guise of the latest teen age rock & roll hit record these morons have gone too far.”
The FBI tried in vain to find the song to be obscene by playing the recording at different speeds and using other sound lab techniques and someone did come up with the obscene lyric which the Smithsonian links to but for reasons of good taste doesn't print. There is a letter to then Attorney General Robert Kennedy and evidently the writer supplied the obscene lyrics to Bobby himself who stiffed the FBI with the assignment. The FBI may have had more success had they bothered to ask Jack Ely the lead singer for the Kingsmen but they never got around to that. The lyrics were probably unintelligible for the simple reason it was a terrible recording session. What was thought to be a rehearsal turned out to be the finished cut. There were issues with the sole microphone, a boom mike that Ely had to stand on tip toe to reach. Add in the fact that Ely had strained his voice in a previous performance and wore braces on his teeth and they had the makings of real disaster had not some over anxious teacher let his imagination run to the lewd. Here are the actual lyrics:
Louie, Louie,
me gotta go.
Louie, Louie,
me gotta go.

A fine little girl, she wait for me;
me catch a ship across the sea.
I sailed the ship all alone;
I never think I’ll make it home

Three nights and days we sailed the sea;
me think of girl constantly.
On the ship, I dream she there;
I smell the rose, in her hair.

Me see Jamaica moon above;
It won’t be long me see me love.
Me take her in my arms and then
I tell her I never leave again.


No comments: