Wednesday, May 22, 2013

The Closest Thing To A Televised Crucifixion I Will Ever See

I don't consider myself a sadist. For that matter I probably engage in schadenfreude (which is kind of like voyeuristic sadism) much less than most people I know. I hate shows like "Cops" and I dislike perp walks and TV murder trials. I derive absolutely no enjoyment seeing Jodie Arias or Scott Peterson or that other Peterson crushed under the scales of justice.

But I was in heaven watching Doug Shulman abused by that Congressional mob on Tuesday. Make no doubt about it, Shulman is a deserving target. He is a bad apple. His Sergeant Schultz routine is old and it is possibly perjurious. I enjoyed every barb tossed his way.

If Congress is trying to boost its dismal approval ratings, this is the way to do it. Never has this august body seemed so noble. Perhaps just as importantly, this was the most entertaining 4 plus hours I have enjoyed in a long, long time. This hearing provided more great sound bites than perhaps anything I have ever seen. They will be spilling out for a long time to come. Trey Gowdy, Jim Jordan and Tammy Duckworth were amazing. Everyone was great except for the party tool from Vermont.

Of course, Lois Lerner stole the show. I saw her read an opening statement. I am not a lawyer and knowing she was taking the fifth, I said, "Can she do that?" At this writing, that matter has yet to be resolved. She paid big bucks for her lawyers (more likely her union picked up the tab) and they allowed her to commit an error most law students would not make. This was one of those baseball moments where $50 million in talent watch a routine fly ball hit the ground right in front of them. This was a blunder for the ages.

Here is Part 1 of 2.  http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/CmteH





1 comment:

Hoosierman said...

I remember watching television when people like Mickey Cohen took the 5th on question after question. Do you hate your mother? I refuse to answer...etc. I was amazed she answered and that wasn't a legal aid lawyer she had. Maybe she should have hired Danny Vowels