Sunday, November 27, 2011

"The Union Leader" Endorses Gingrich

"The Union Leader" might be the last newspaper endorsement that matters. It mattered in 2008 when they endorsed McCain and brought his campaign back from the dead. I'm not sure if it will matter this time around. Romney has the endorsement of Senator Ayotte, former Senators Gregg and Sununu and former Governor Sununu. Romney owns property on Lake Winnepesaki (I think that's how you spell it)and is an honorary Granite Head if not an official native son. I have no idea how he antagonized The UL but they don't like him.

I don't think I have even paged through "The Union Leader" since 2008. I was working on the Ron Paul campaign and the Leader "forgot" to run a full page Paul ad on the Saturday before the election. I am sure they refunded the campaign but at the time, Paul was polling second and they wanted McCain to win. They seriously offered to run the ad after the primary. They can be pretty damn sleazy.

I don't know why "The Union Leader" selects the candidates that they select. William Loeb used to call divorced men wife swappers but Reagan was OK with him and Loeb was married three times. (His Wikipedia entry, if it is to be believed, is quite colorful.) At any rate, "The Union Leader" endorsed Newt. For Romney, that is a cold slap in the face.

No comments: