Saturday, September 10, 2011

September 11, 2011

On the East Coast it is now the 10th anniversery attack of the 9/11 attacks. I thought about posting related videos but the networks have alreadt saturated the story. Not too many stones unturned.

This is probably the last gasp of rememberance. In another ten years a large segment of the population will either be too young to recall that fateful day or were not yet born at the time of the attack. At times, like when the Ground Zero Mosque is defended or the pundits have tried to blame the US for all of the world's ills I have grown cynical. I have considered posting beheadings and suicide bombers but the Bin Laden job and the following celebrations made me realize that the populace do indeed "get it" at least where terrorism is concerned.

So I am not going to say much about 9/11. It is unfortunate that the monuments that are supposed to make us remember, seem to be designed to make us forget. I would have preferred duplicate twin towers at Ground Zero. And twin towers in most major US cities. And miniature replicas (say twenty stories high) in cities that could not build or fill skyscrapers. But we will have to settle for an artist's rendition of a committee's boondoggle.

Oh but we should not let our spirits be dampened. I will be watching the tribute if for no other reason, than to see if the flash mob singing "Amazing Grace" really does drown out Mayor Bloomberg when he tries to speak. I sure hope so.

No comments: