Saturday, September 11, 2010

September 11, 2010

Poignancy escapes me once more. I wish I could say something inspirational on this the most sobering of days. But the fog of confusion is still with me. There is so much that I simply cannot understand.

I cannot understand how after 9 years, America has not rebuilt the World Trade Center. Yeah, 2013. WTF?

And I cannot begin to understand the elitists within our beloved country who hate every fiber of our culture. In World War II the upper crust were as patriotic as any other socio-economic group. Perhaps they were more patriotic. The Kennedys gave their eldest son to their country and the war almost claimed John Kennedy as well. The elder George Bush was a war hero. The CIA back in the days when they were ruthless and effective, were dominated by Yalies. The list of patriotic bluebloods is too long to list here.

There were always elites and elitists in America. That's life. But we did not worry too much or too often about whose side they were on. We did not have need to concern ourselves with academics and power brokers playing footsie with terrorists. If there was a predecessor to Mayor Bloomberg in the flip-off-the-citizens-as-I-smooch-with-terrorists department, I slept through that chapter. Maybe I just don't know American History.

And I don't understand how Eric Holder cannot acknowledge the obvious about Islamic extremism. Nor can I understand the need of bright people in the administration to strike words from the lexicon. Words like terror and terrorist and jihad. As I see it, Eric Holder should be kissing the ground he stands on every day of his life. The people of this country have been good to him and he greets them with the air of an Oxford don who has been deployed to teach remedial English to delinquent ninth graders until that messy scandal blows over.

And I cannot condense my confusion as to how Barack and Michelle can balance those chips on their shoulders after all their wealth and comfort. Do they ever wake up in Spain or the Vineyard or even the White House and say "These Americans aren't such bad people after all." ??? I don't think so. The president literally and figuratively looks down his nose at us. But his speech and body language are much different when he is apologizing for America's very existence or when he is (I have a hard time admitting this) bowing to the Saudi King. Where are your loyalties, Mr. President? Certainly not with those of us who oppose a victory mosque at Ground Zero.

And color me confused as to how NASA became a Muslim outreach group. Maybe you shouldn't explain. I don't think I would understand. Yesterday's liberals might have held some wacky ideas but they were usually pro-American. I wonder what the late Patrick Moynihan would say about the new speech regulations or the in your face mosque. I wonder what the first Mayor Daley would say. Oh, and as an aside, the original Mayor Daley would probably not provide shelter and comfort to William Ayers and Bernadine Dohrn.

I thought the elite's sympathies for jihadists were just anti-Bush sentiments. The enemy of my enemy is my friend. But Bush is long gone and the passionate embrace grows tighter. What we thought was puppy love has become a mature romance. We see it but we can't fully believe it.

Confusion. That is what September 11 brings. The dense fog of confusion. Where did it all go wrong?

No comments: