Saturday, January 30, 2010

Hail to The Chief

It is now just one year after Obama's inauguration and I want to offer praise on the highlights of the president' first year and change.

1. The Executive Order closing the Guantanamo detention facility. I too would like to see us close the facility but I offer a modest amendment to the president's plan. I propose that we feed the terrorists to the sharks. This would serve our country so much better than to turn our nation's prisons into Al Qidah recruiting stations. Of course it raises other questions (cable or pay per view?) but this is the sort of lively discourse that has made our republic great.

I recognize that my proposal might contain constitutional impediments but our executive-in-chief has been an outspoken critic of that pesky document and perhaps we could hammer on a common anvil and forge a new covenant. This could finally unify us as no issue has.


2. Wasting Pirates on The High Seas. Nice shot, man!

3. The Suspension of the US Justice Department Resources to Prosecute the Medical Marijuana Industry It is sad that we have to look to drunken sailor Barack to instill some fiscal sanity but let us give credit where credit is due. I maintain that fiscal conservatism is 100% incompatible with social conservatism (as a matter not of chosen lifestyle but of public policy.) The wall between the too camps cannot be high enough. If it takes Obama to build that wall, well Mr. President, we are indebted to you.

4. The Prompt Relief Effort For Haiti Mr. President, I salute you.

5. The Meeting With the Republican Caucus That showed courage we have not seen in this man before. I did not get to see the meeting in its entirety but from the highlights Obama seems to have won a small war. He was without teleprompter in enemy camp but he succeeded in painting the Republicans as obstructionists.
There was one point in this meeting where the president complained that his opponents had characterized his health care plan as some sort of Bolshevik plot. Had I been in the audience, I would like to think that I would have stood up and said "Mr. President, with all due respect, that is precisely how I view your health care plan." I don't think anyone said anything like that. Sigh. They seemed mesmerized.
Like A-Rod and Kobe and Peyton, I wouldn't mind having Obama on my team, working for my interests and my values. I can dream, can't I?

No comments: